[GE users] Job dependency and job_name

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 01:18:14 BST 2004

I got the answers below by submitting test jobs to my
cluster --

> A job name is not unique, so for how long does a
> memory of a job name live in the SGE system?

SGE won't allow you to depend on non-unique job names:

% qsub -hold_jid sleep sleep2
denied: non-ambiguous jobnet predecessor "sleep"
(found jobs 6 and 8)

> I can make my job dependent on another job by
> specifying its name and that includes job names that
> have not been submitted yet.

But SGE will schedule your job immediately if there is
no jobs with the required dependency.

> But what if that name was used in the
> past? How far back into the past will SGE look?

As long as the jobname does not match those in the job
list, SGE will assume that it is done.

The correct way to do create a circular dependency is
to qsub the first job with a user hold (-h), and then
the second job with the job interdependencies
(-hold_jid), make the first job dependent on the
second one, and lastly release the user hold of the
1st job.

e.g. second->first, first->second

% qsub -h first

% qsub -hold_jid first second

% qalter -hold_jid second 13

(13 = job id of the first job)

% qrls 13

after a few minutes, use "qstat -r" to see the
dependencies of the jobs.

BTW, may be there are other ways to do it, if you find
one, please let me know.

 -Ron