[GE users] Window as SGE Submit host ?

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Wed Apr 14 10:16:35 BST 2004

Hi,

we certainly could not add any Cygwin code to the Grid Engine project
repository. Also neither we (Sun) nor anyone else on this planet could
provide a courtesy binary build of a Cygwin based SGE for public download,
since SGE is not GPL and the Cygwin licening statement ("your compiled
programs will also have to be free software distributed under the GPL")
clearly requires a GPL redistribution. The Grid Engine project SISSL license
does not allow to change the license under which it is redistributed!

I think it's important to understand that the terms "GPL", "open source",
"open source as recognized by OSI" and "source code available to all" talk
about quite different things in their general meaning. While SGE's SISSL
license matches the last three terms it doesn't match the GPL part.

I think it might be possible to change aimk/Makefiles/source code that SGE
can compile under a Cygwin environment, it also should be possible to add
documentation which describes what software is required to build SGE under a
Cygwin environment. However I would first like to cross check which our
legal advisors before any CVS changes are done.

Andy