[GE users] Window as SGE Submit host ?

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 12:21:30 BST 2004

Hi,

I've been trying to understand the Cygwin license, and
have googled for a few hours last week. But please
check with your legal advisors about this:

http://www.cygwin.com/licensing.html

"In accordance with section 10 of the GPL, Red Hat
permits programs whose sources are distributed under a
license that complies with the Open Source definition
to be linked with libcygwin.a without libcygwin.a
itself causing the resulting program to be covered by
the GNU GPL.

This means that you can port an Open Source(tm)
application to cygwin, and distribute that executable
as if it didn't include a copy of libcygwin.a linked
into it."

So we don't need to be redistributed under GPL.

And this Cygwin developer (from Redhat) said:

But well, it is hard to say whether we are 100% safe
or not :(

 -Ron

--- Andy Schwierskott <andy.schwierskott at sun.com>

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/license.html