[GE users] Does SGE work with IBM/Rational ClearCase ? Reply to : Beadles, Jeff

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 15 12:49:08 BST 2004

>From: "Beadles, Jeff" <jeff_beadles at mentorg.com>
>Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:22:12 -0700
>Subject: RE: [GE users] Does SGE work with IBM/Rational ClearCase  ?
>

>We use SGE with clearcase all of the time.  It works like a charm, as
>long as you have registered all of your vobs and views into a common
>region that your grid exec hosts use.  Take a look at the how-to on
>clearcase on the open source website.

I did use the script from here,
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/howto/clearcase.html

>We don't use SGE to do compiles though, and don't use clearmake in our
>grid environment.

May I know why you don't use SGE for distributed compiling ?

We like to provide an SGE environment and ask our developers to
replace clearmake with qmake and submit their compilation job
to SGE. then SGE can use its qmake to optimize the compilation
time as much as possible to ditributed the tasks to other ccase
enable SGE execution host.

>For what it's worth, I think that there are better ways to distribute
>compiles across systems rather than via SGE.  SGE is too heavy-weight
>of a process, and doesn't provide the controls that would be needed to
>ensure a reproducible build. (for example, with the default SGE
>				   installation, you only know what 				   the arch is for a system,
>and not
>				   things like which compiler(s) are
>				   installed, at what patchlevel, what
>				   system libraries, etc...)

This will not be a problem for us, becuase our Unix boxes are all bulit
by network installation servers  which provide same OS pathces, same
applications
... etc.

For other distributed compilation ways, I look at distcc (distcc.samba.org)
and understand
clearmake's can do distbributed build.

I love distcc.  I was able to compile RH Linux 7.3 kernel in 3 minutes on
one machine
57 seconds on three machines with distcc configured !. But it only work with
gcc
not native vendor compilers.

tj