[GE users] resource management

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 04:55:55 BST 2004

May be you need to understand the way that SGE
schedules jobs to queues. After that you can go back
to my previous email and try to understand it.

In SGE, the "queues" are just job containers, so you
*don't* submit to a queue, but SGE picks a queue for
you.

If you have never played with adding queues before,
you can use "qconf -aq" to create a queue for your
host. Then submit jobs and make sure there are more
jobs than the number of slots in the cluster, monitor
how SGE schedules jobs to queues closely with qstat.

I think you will be able to understand the "queue"
concept after you have played with it rather than
always  use the default one created by SGE during
installation.

After you understand the a bit confusing queue
concept, the rest will be easy. You attach the free
space for each disk to the queue, and you don't need
to worry about the disk any more.

If you submit a job like:

qsub -l "disk=${required_space}" script

SGE will be able to find a queue (ie. a disk) for that
job.

 -Ron

--- "Ara.T.Howard" <Ara.T.Howard at noaa.gov> wrote:
> if i understand you correctly, this is problematic
> for two reasons:
>
>   - i cannot know apriori which host to run on
>   - i cannot know apriori which disk of a particular
> host to run on
>

> in otherwords, given the above, how would i say
>
>   qsub -l 'any host' -l 'any of two disks' job
>
> it seems i would need to know both the host and disk
> to submit to, wouldn't i?
>
> i would like to associate each of the disks with a
> host as a resource and be
> able to say:
>
>   qsub -l "disk_a=${required_space} or
> disk_b=${required_space}" ... job
>
> but it seems that logical && is all i get...
>
> -a
> --

> | EMAIL   :: Ara [dot] T [dot] Howard [at] noaa
> [dot] gov
> | PHONE   :: 303.497.6469
> | ADDRESS :: E/GC2 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO
> 80305-3328
> | URL     :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/
> | TRY     :: for l in ruby perl;do $l -e "print
> \"\x3a\x2d\x29\x0a\"";done

> For additional commands, e-mail:

Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25?
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash