[GE users] Subsidiary qmake with different resource requirements?

Joachim Gabler joga at sun.com
Fri Apr 23 11:15:45 BST 2004

Hi Göran,

Göran Uddeborg wrote:

>Is there any way to start new qmake jobs from qmake with different
>resource requirements than the first?  This Makefile gives you an
>idea:
>
>  all: lx24-x86 hp11
>  hp11:
>	qmake -l arch=hp11 -- sometarget
>  lx24-x86:
>	qmake -l arch=lx24-x86 -- sometarget
>
>If I run this job with something like "qmake -v PATH -pe make 1- --",
>the resource settings are overridden by the implicit -inherit flag
>added.  Is there any way to avoid this and say "I really mean a
>different architecture!"?

qmake does a detection of recursive make calls.
It assumes that recursive make calls shall be executed in the same
parallel job as the main make
and therefore will start the sub qmake calls as child processes.

Detection of recursive make calls is done by parsing the commandline and
looking for make calls.
If you want to get your qmake calls scheduled as separate jobs, you can
try to create a wrapper script around
qmake and call this wrapper script. The script name should _not_ contain
"make".
The script could look like the following:
#!/bin/sh
exec qmake $*

The SGE 6.0 qmake has a number of enhancements, that will probably meet
your needs much better:
1. You can call qmake without specifying a parallel environment.
In this case, qmake will generate a qrsh job for each rule instead of
starting a task in the parallel environment (qrsh -inherit)
2. You can specify resource requests for each rule separately.
The syntax is

target: dependencies
    SGE_RREQ="-l arch=lx24-x86" myapplication args

Please find a description of the dynamic allocation mode in the qmake
man page.

This feature is available in the maintrunk and the SGE 6.0 beta2 coming
soon.

Best regards,

  Joachim

Joachim Gabler          Tel: +49 941 3075-233 (x60233)
Sun Microsystems GmbH   Fax: +49 941 3075-222 (x60222)
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7	mailto:joga at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg      http://www.sun.de