[GE users] resource management (resending to the list)

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Mon Apr 26 16:34:29 BST 2004

Ara.T.Howard wrote:

> my delima is that if i simply added 50 or so more lines of code to the above
> logic i could simply spawn the commands via ssh and not use sge at all...
> which is what i am currently doing.  my hope was to leverage the volume of
> code sge contains, but it seems that the lever is a bit short with the current
> version of sge...

Many people building appliance type compute farms that are dedicated to
a single user, task or workflow find early on that the 'roll your own'
approach is easier, faster or better fitted to their needs than a more
general distributed resource management system like grid engine etc.

The value of grid engine and similar systems is seen later on when:

  o the original developer of the homegrown system leaves
  o the existing system needs to be extended in functionality or size

  or most often:

  o The cluster/farm makes the switch from a single user or single
workflow to having to support multiple groups, users and projects.

The added complexity, operational and management overhead that a more
general purpose DRM system becomes easily justified when the workflow
needs to take an unexpected direction or new user groups pop up
seemingly from nowhere :)

It is not an either/or decision usually. The 'homegrown' or specialized
task farming systems can coexist with Grid Engine serving up resources
to the rest of the users/jobs.

My $.02

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting