[GE users] Queue usage - stopping standard jobs landing on Linux Athlon 64 b it machines

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Fri Oct 22 20:34:38 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 12:05, Paul Lyons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a mixture of machines and recently installed some Opteron
> systems..
>
> How can we configure SGE so that..
>
> 1. Standard jobs do not run on the Opteron 64 bit machines, as not all
> the tools have 64 bit binaries
> 2. We still want jobs that would run on a 64 bit machine to run on the
> other hosts as well

I'm assuming that all your boxes are linux.

You can modify <sge root>/<cell>/common/sge_request and add a line like
this:
-l arch=lx24-x86

That'll cause all jobs to request 32-bit nodes by default.  If someone
wants to run a job on an opteron, they can specify '-l arch=lx24-amd64'
on the command line or in their submit script, and it'll override the
default.  Someone can instead use '-l arch=lx24*' if they don't care if
it goes on a 32 or 64-bit machine.

See 'man sge_request' for more information on the sge_request
functionality.