[GE users] Scheduling Questions

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Dec 15 17:28:08 GMT 2005

Hi Ray,

The "large jobs and small jobs running on the same cluster" has been
a problem that many people have faced.  There *are* solutions and
some best practices out there but there are a few key concepts you
need to keep in mind:

  - In its default configuration, SGE 6 does first-in-first-out
scheduling (FIFO). You need to enable other policies to get fairshare
or other behavior
  - In its default configuration, SGE will not touch, mess with or
interfere with running jobs.
  - Since SGE does not mess with running jobs, scheduling policies
are enforced by manipulating the order of the pending list

The last 2 points are important for you -- SGE only does policy by
dynamically changing the order the pending list. This means that your
cluster has to have at least a few job slots draining sort of quickly
for you to see any sort of real fairshare or other policy in effect.
Sorting and resorting the order of the pending list will not mean
anything to you if 100% of your cluster nodes are tied up with a
single parallel job that will run for days, weeks or months.

Only you know what your workload characteristics will be like -- if
your "normal" jobs run and exit in a reasonable period of time then
you can easily set up policies that will suit your departmental
needs. If your workflow is capable of consuming all available job
slots for days at a time then you'll need to put in some sort of
constraint in place that will at least keep a couple nodes or job
slots free for other work. People do this by (a) forcing parallel
jobs to only run on a subset of available machines or (b) enforcing
maxujobs or (c) designating access control lists or special queues
that remain clear for shorter jobs or non-parallel work.

The two policies that will probably interest you:

  - fairshare by user
  - urgency

Fairshare is easy to do within the SGE "Functional Policy" or "Share
Tree Policy" mechanisms. There are good docs available for this. One
HOWTO that I wrote about department based fairshare is available
here: http://bioteam.net/dag/sge6-funct-share-dept.html

The "urgency" policy was put into SGE 6 specifically to address the
problem of large paralle jobs taking all the job slots away from
smaller serial jobs. In short, Urgency policy can prevent "job
starvation" by increasing the priority of a job based upon how long
it has spent in the pending list. The longer the job sits in the
pending queue, the higher it's priority. Eventually the priority
crosses a threshold where it will vault to the top of the pending
list and get dispatched into the next available job slots.

The articles here may also be of interest:
http://gridengine.info/articles/category/resource-allocation

As a side note, some of my "day job" work involves configuring Grid
Engine policies for use with bioinformatics workflows in a
departmental setting, including many SGE-enabled web applications. If
you have questions about what works and what does not work for SGE
and informatics workflows that may not be on-topic for this list feel
free to contact me directly.

Regards,
Chris