[GE users] "cannot execute binary file"

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Dec 16 13:27:14 GMT 2005

Hi Paul,

Am 16.12.2005 um 12:23 schrieb Paul Smith:

> Reuti wrote:
>> The "head" seems to look whether the first line gives the
>> interpreter  for this script. This is usually a full path. As the
>> standard-env  isn't found: is the default $PATH not appropriate
>> for your system?  One of these two is working? Which Linux type?
>> Is the "/etc/ ld.so.conf" on the nodes containing all necessary
>> paths to the libs?  Can you try to compile your a.out as
>> statically linked program and  try with a full path /home/blabla/
>> a.out?
>
> -bash-2.05b$ qrsh /tmp/hello
> /tmp/hello: /tmp/hello: cannot execute binary file
> -bash-2.05b$ qrsh echo \$PATH
> head: cannot open `echo' for reading: No such file or directory
> echo: /bin/echo: cannot execute binary file
> -bash-2.05b$ qrsh /bin/echo \$PATH
> /bin/echo: /bin/echo: cannot execute binary file
> -bash-2.05b$ cat script3
> echo $PATH
> -bash-2.05b$ qrsh script3
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/gridware/sge/bin/lx26-amd64:/opt/
> mpich/ch-p4/bin:/usr/local/lam/bin:.
> -bash-2.05b$
>
> -bash-2.05b$gcc -static ../hello.c -o hello
> -bash-2.05b$ gcc -static ../hello.c -o hello
> -bash-2.05b$ ldd hello
>         not a dynamic executable
> -bash-2.05b$ pwd
> /admin/pas/mpich-1.2.7p1
> -bash-2.05b$ qrsh /admin/pas/mpich-1.2.7p1/hello
> /admin/pas/mpich-1.2.7p1/hello: /admin/pas/mpich-1.2.7p1/hello:
> cannot execute binary file
> -bash-2.05b$

well, in case of an intermediate shell the things are working, but
not running it directly. What were the $PATH and other environment
settings at the time the execd was started on the node? Maybe there
was something (not correctly) defined, and it will be overridden by a
started shell, but inherited by a direct execution? - Reuti

BTW: I'd suggest not to put /opt/mpich/ch-p4/bin and /usr/local/lam/
bin at once in the PATH, as only the MPICH-version will be found for
mpirun I think. Are you replacing the PATH there completely, instead
of extending it, as the definition of $TMPDIR is missing there (which
you would need for a Tight Integration of parallel jobs)?