[GE users] qmake: "waiting for child failed: timeout"

Joachim Gabler Joachim.Gabler at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 20 11:59:26 GMT 2005

Jan,

Jan Behrend wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am using sge 6.0u7 and have the default PE like this:
>$ qconf -sp make
>pe_name           make
>slots             999
>user_lists        NONE
>xuser_lists       NONE
>start_proc_args   NONE
>stop_proc_args    NONE
>allocation_rule   $round_robin
>control_slaves    TRUE
>job_is_first_task FALSE
>urgency_slots     min
>
>When I test the PE with the following qmake command on the standard
>gnupg sources everything looks fine until I get the following error:
>The environment (PATH, etc.) is setup correctly (I hope).
>
>gnupg-1.4.1$ qmake -verbose -cwd -l arch=lx24-x86 -pe make 2 -- 2>&1

If you start qmake with the -verbose option, you will see messages like the
waiting for child failed: timeout
This just means that qmake waited for the termination of a child (with a
certain timeout), and
the child didn't finish before the timeout. This is normal behaviour,
just a verbose message.

>gcc: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file

This is a build error.
Is this reproducable?
It would be interesting to see the qmake output before the error
message, where it dumps the commandline used to build the target fileutil.o.
This might be a Makefile issue, e.g. with a rule for the target spawning
multiple lines (without backslash at the end of the line), there are
some examples for qmake problems in the qmake man page.

Best regards,

  Joachim