[GE users] mp_load_avg too high WAS: np_load_avg too low

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Tue Dec 20 20:32:06 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 15:19, Rayson Ho wrote:
> Is your application I/O bound?? What are the numbers reported by
> "uptime"?? You can also monitor your jobs' processor usage with "top",
> and see how often the jobs use the processor.
>
> By default, GE only schedules 1 job per CPU...

	I've been getting odd behaviour with SGE 6.0u6 on SUSE 10 where it's
reporting my dual x64 Intel system load is 4, 6, 10 even as high as 12, and
thus not sending jobs to the slots till it "cools down".  Now that you
mention this, I checked uptime and indeed, I'm getting results like:

3:29pm  up 35 days  2:58,  5 users,  load average: 8.48, 4.75, 5.73

	and I've seen that average middle number match what SGE says.  I assume this
means SGE is determining this(fairly enough) by querying uptime or a similar
call.  Anyone have any thoughts why uptime would be reporting such high
numbers?  I'm guessing it's because it's x64, but it seems like a bug
regardless.  Any thoughts offhand on a workaround?

	Thanks

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada
"It's men like him that give the Y chromosome a bad name."