[GE users] Resource allocation and access control

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Dec 23 01:11:12 GMT 2005

Hi Simon,

Am 23.12.2005 um 01:24 schrieb Simon Gao:

> Hi,
>
> On a cluster with 4 processor nodes, we'd like to set up so that
> one user can only use one of the processors on each node no matter
> how many jobs submitted by the user or if there is any free,
> available processors on a node. For example, the cluster has 8
> nodes, each has 4 processors, this user's jobs can only use one
> processor on each of node01 through node08 at any time. But other
> users are not limited by such restriction.
>
> How should I configure queue or resource policy to get this done?

if it's just for one or a few users with exactly this limit of slots
on each node in the end, you could setup one or a few queue(s) to
which only this particular user has access at all (by defining user
lists), and give only one slot to them. This would mean, that only
one CPU in each node may be used by this user.

This user list(s) must then be added in xuser_lists for the common
queue to exclude them there.

As you now have in total too many slots on each node, the complex
slots has to be added to each exec host, set to the number of CPUs
inside, i.e. complex_values slots=4 (qconf -me) to limit it to four
processes again on each node.

HTH - Reuti