[GE users] Fair share config, fill-up hosts and max user slots

Jean-Paul Minet minet at cism.ucl.ac.be
Fri Dec 23 10:39:46 GMT 2005

Our bi-proc cluster is used for sequential, OpenMP and MPI jobs.  We wish to:

1) use fair-share scheduling with equal shares for all users

I have disabled Priority and Urgency scheduling, and set policy hierarchy to S.:

lemaitre ~ # qconf -ssconf
algorithm                         default
halftime                          336
usage_weight_list                 cpu=0.848000,mem=0.152000,io=0.000000
weight_tickets_functional         0
weight_tickets_share              10000
policy_hierarchy                  S
weight_ticket                     1.000000
weight_urgency                    0.000000
weight_priority                   0.000000

Under the share tree policy, I have only defined a default leaf under which all
users appear, but "Actual resource share" and "Targeted resource share" remain 0
for all users, as if actual usage was not taken into account?  This is confirmed
by jobs being dispatched more like in FIFO order than following past usage.
What's wrong?

2) limit the total number of CPUs/slots used by any user at any time:
MaxJobs/User doesn't help as a single MPI job can use many slots and therefore
cannot compare to a sequential job.  How can we implement this?

3) fill-up hosts with sequential jobs to leave as many empty nodes for OpenMP
and MPI jobs.  I have read Stephen G. WebL Log: am I correct in assuming that I
have to define a complex_values slots=2 for each of the biproc host (we don't
want more jobs than CPU) and, thereafter, the scheduler will select the hosts
with the least available slots (setting of course queue_sort_method=load and
load_formula=slots) ?

Thanks for any help

Jean-Paul