[GE users] Jobs for cluster management?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Dec 23 14:59:33 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 12:46 +0000, Jon Lockley wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm wondering if the following is already possible (in a non-kludgy way)
> or whether it's something sensible to ask for as a new feature.
>
> Traditionally when we want to upgrade the software on nodes in a cluster
> we drain work off those nodes by shortening the wall clock limit every few
> hours such that it reaches zero when the work is scheduled.

Jon, as Chris says why no used 'qmod -d'

The concept of a 'management job' is good.
When one of our clusters at RAL needed to have BIOS updates done, one of
the admin there wrote a script to do the upgrade (the nodes network boot
a program which does the upgrade). When nodes finished their normal
workload the management job was run.
I can't recall if the job was run as part of the normal job queue, or it
was run manually. And for what its worth this cluster runs LSF.

As I say an excellent concept, and a smart way to do things.
But at the end of the day, for various reasons, your truly had to do the
job in the time-honoured fashion using a floppy drive.