[GE users] Limit number of pending jobs

Jon Lockley Jon.Lockley at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 28 21:31:06 GMT 2005

A similar point: what we'd like to do at our site is to make sure that
each user has no more than N jobs actually running but they can have as
many pending jobs as they like.  This means they can stick a load of work
into the system and go off to a conference (or Xmas!) but they can't
saturate the cluster with too many jobs all in one go and keep everyone
else waiting.  (If I understand things properly a fair-share policy and
ticketing can't prevent a sudden influx of work from a single user). At
the moment we often have to tweak of max_u_jobs to take account of who has
how much work in the system and the stuff which is pending.

In short, we'd find it more useful if the limit applied to running
and not pending jobs but even better, if there were separate limits
for total jobs, running jobs and pending jobs.

Regards,

Jon Lockley

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Rayson Ho wrote:

> max_u_jobs will control the total number of jobs submitted (either
> running or pending, but not done) per user.
>
> see sge_conf (5)
>
> Rayson
>

> On 12/28/05, V01D <phreakuencies at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I was wondering if was possible to define an upper limit for the ammount
> > of jobs that can be pending for each user.
> > Thanks
> > --
> > "Buying an operating system without source is like buying a self-assembly
> > Space Shuttle with no instructions."

| Dr Jon Lockley, Centre Manager   |                                   |
| Oxford Supercomputing Centre     | Email jon.lockley at comlab.ox.ac.uk |
| Oxford University Computing Lab. | Tel +44 (0)1865 283569            |
| Wolfson Building                 | Fax +44 (0)1865 273839            |
| Parks Rd.                        | www.osc.ox.ac.uk                  |
| Oxford, OX1 3QD                  | "Out of Darkness Cometh Light"    |
| UK                               |                                   |