[GE users] Running 1, 2, 3, or 4 jobs on a host with 4 slots

Marconnet, James E Mr /Computer Sciences Corporation james.marconnet at smdc.army.mil
Fri Mar 11 16:59:46 GMT 2005

Back in 2/2004 there was a thread called: Exclusive execution on a host with
multiple slots. I read thru it, but I got totally confused.

We are using SGE 6.something and have multiple identical Penguin nodes with
dual-processors, hyperthreaded, and slots set to 4. So there tend to be 4
jobs running at a time on each node.

I'm trying to figure out how a user can easily specify, hopefully using just
qsub, the maximum number of jobs which can be run on a node, including his
job. There is no need to suspend existing jobs, just don't let too many
start on that node.

Specifically, the user may want to run a maximum of 1, 2, 3, or 4 of his (or
someone else's) jobs on a node, depending on how much of a hurry he is for
results, how many jobs he has to run, how many nodes are currently
available, etc. etc.

The term "load threshold" came up as a suggestion in that earlier thread,
but that seems to be something que-specific, rather than something one
controls using qsub. But I certainly could be wrong.

Thanks for specifics if possible,
Jim