[GE users] setting up fair share as a function of CPU usage

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Nov 14 15:53:18 GMT 2005

Hi Chris:

   Thats what I thought, but I want to make sure that the CPU usage is
the dominant part of this calculation, as the user doesn't want memory
usage factoring in.  We will likely implement it in stages anyway.
Users agreed to it, and we set their expectations on what they would
see.  If we need to tweak the policy afterwords, I will drill more into it.

joe

Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> I *think* the default action of the sharetree policy to allocate  based
> resources based on "usage" may be all you need. I'm not exactly  sure
> what metric makes up the "usage" calculation but chances are it  could
> be pretty close to actual CPU usage cluster-wide.
>
> So a flat sharetree where all user objects have the same amount of
> entitlements (tickets) may end up giving you exactly what you need
> which is essentially fairshare-by-user with the main metric being  "usage".
>
> Regards,
> Chris
>

> On Nov 14, 2005, at 10:34 AM, Joe Landman wrote:
>
>> Hi folks:
>>
>>   A customer asked us to change them to  share scheduling as a
>> function of recent CPU usage.  They had been in a non-policy based
>> mode so we could see which model they prefered, by department, by
>> user, etc. Watching the usage patterns, it seems that a share  policy
>> based upon the recently accumulated CPU usage is likely to  be best.
>> I see how to create the share policy with the default  user.   How do
>> I have it use CPU usage to make the share  calculation?  How do I tie
>> this back into the scheduler (e.g what  do I have to set to have it
>> use this share policy)?
>>
>>   Thanks.
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> --