[GE users] pe_hostfile, how is created?

davide cittaro daweonline at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 16:56:16 BST 2006

Hi all, I would like to know how the $pe_hostfile variable is treated/generated
According to the man pages is the path to the file with the machine
names, but how the file is it created? And who creates it?
I ask this because I have machines with long hostnames, such as

ia32.bioinfo.ifom-ieo-campus.it

where ifom-ieo-campus.it is the domainname and

$ /usr/bin/hostname
ia32.bioinfo

but when I try loose lam integration with rsh (first step and attempt)
I have SGE that tries to lamboot machines only with the first part of
the hostname (i.e. ia32). I can set these *short* hostnames in
/etc/hosts, but I also would like why SGE doesn't like a punctated
hostname (ia32.bioinfo). Can anybody give me a hint?
Also, a general question, the startSOMETHING.sh/stopSOMETHING.sh
script should be installed on all machines? I have noticed that
modifying one startlam.sh script, so that the machines files contains
the right hostname, makes everything work even if the other machines
have a *wrong* script.

Thanks

dawe
http://dawe.ilbello.com
---
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." -
Niels Bohr