[GE users] How to clear internal hostname cache?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Apr 4 17:21:39 BST 2006

Kim Leng Goh wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>   Some update. First, thanks for your script. I edited it to become:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> @files = `find /`;
> foreach $file (@files)
>  {
>   chomp($grep = `grep -i --exclude="/dev/*" network-0-0 $file`);
>   printf "%s\n",$file if ($grep ne "");
>  }
>

> Here's the output at time of writing:
> /proc/kcore

Ok... this is just the memory of the machine.  You shouldn't be looking
in there, as you could be regexing the image of the program that
contains that string.

I would suggest adding --exclude="/proc/*" --exclude="/sysfs/*"

At this point I think you have two options.

Option 1 is, using Rocks methodology, to re-install the head node and
re-install the compute nodes.

Option 2 is to decommission 5.3, and hand install 6.0u7.

I don't recommend "1" apart from exceptional cases, it usually causes
far more interruption than you need.  Option "2" is usually much
easier/safer, and you can (as long as you run them on separate ports,
and don't use the same compute nodes as execution hosts) run two
schedulers at once for a cutover to the new installation.  Given the
issues in the Rocks SGE (qrsh not working among other bits), I would
recommend "2".

Joe

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615