[GE users] Queue configuration question.

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Apr 10 20:12:30 BST 2006

Hi,

Am 10.04.2006 um 19:08 schrieb Baudilio Tejerina:

> Hi.
>
> In a clusters composed by single- and dual-processors machines, I
> have defined queues associated with each individual computer so
> that 'hostlist' contains just the name of machine (not a group) and
> the 'slots' contains the number of CPUs that machine may provide.
> For instance:
>
> qconf -sq buckyball
>
> qname                 buckyball
> hostlist                 buckyball
> seq_no                0
> slots                 1,[buckyball=2]
>
> Likewise, if the machine has a single CPU
>
> slots                 1,[zinc=1]
>

> It happens that if I submit a job requesting 2 CPUs, GE allocates
> one from "buckyball" and the other from "zinc".

this is the intended behavior. You can:

a) define one PE for each queue with similar names and request the PE
with a wildcard

b) use allocation rule $pe_slots, this way you could still stay with
one queue for all machines, as all slots have to be on one machine

> How can I have the job be allocated in a machine with two
> processors and never in the way it is now?
> Related to this, I'd like to configure the queues so that if a user
> requests more that 2 CPUs, the job gets always rejected.

What is the definition of your PE now? Maybe you need a second PS
with a different allocation rule.

-- Reuti