[GE users] DRMAA job categories & parallel environments (-pe)

Mon Apr 10 23:11:40 BST 2006

    [ The following text is in the "ISO-8859-2" character set. ]

Chris,

That sounds like the intended use of the job category.  The idea was to
provide an abstract handle that the application can use, like "mpi",
that the administrator can concretely map to a set of command-line
switches.  This scheme enables portability because the application only
has to know about the "mpi" category, as opposed to a bunch of
DRM-specific switches.

Daniel

Krzysztof Wilk wrote On 03/10/06 18:47,:

>Hi,
>
>I read about DRMAA job categories in DRMAA 1.0 specification. I also
>read that this feature is implemented by GE DRMAA library.
>
>Are there any use cases with DRMAA job categories? I could not find any.
>
>I have the idea of using DRMAA job categories for pre-configuring
>various parallel environments (e.g. mpi). This way complex resource
>attributes can be set once and every time a DRMAA job that falls into
>this category is submitted for execution, these resource attributes
>should not be specified explicitly.
>
>Are there any cons of this case?
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>Best,
>Chris

*         Daniel Templeton   UMPK18 x83749           *
*        Staff Engineer, Sun N1 Grid Engine          *
* "What's the sense in never thinkin' 'bout the tomb *
*  When you're much too busy returning to the womb?" *
*                  -They Might Be Giants             *