[GE users] PVM tight integration

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Apr 11 20:45:46 BST 2006

Am 11.04.2006 um 21:10 schrieb Davide Cittaro:

>> No.
>>
>> With all this things, maybe it would be worth to try a self
>> compiled PVM in your ~, as I implemented all the things this way.
>> Maybe there is something compiled into your distribution.
>>

> That is probably true, since gentoo tends to custom the packages
> installation, I'm checking tomorrow. By the way I made some tests
> trying to change the PVM_TMP value. It happens that when I modify
> it from the shell, pvm writes there. It also happens that TMPDIR
> value is correctly send to GE, as I echoed it to .po files (it
> prints /tmp/$JOB_ID.QUEUE)... It seems that my GE environment isn't
> able to correctly

You mean  send "from" GE I hope, as $TMPDIR is set by SGE to $JOB_ID.
$SGE_TASK_ID.$QUEUE and to be used in the scripts and jobs.

> export PVM_TMP=$TMPDIR as qrsh is launched...

The original idea was to set it to \$TMPDIR, as under 5.3 the name
was different on all slave nodes and included the name of the local
queue there. The \ prevents the interpretation on the head/master
node of the parallel job, and it will be set on the slave node(s)
instead. Under 6.0 there shouldn't be any difference, as long as all
slots come from the same cluster queue.

-- Reuti