[GE users] Automated installation

tmac tmacmd at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 04:35:40 BST 2006

I got this working sort of...

It was a combination of kickstart, %post scripts and expect.

I found through trial and error, that the install of sge_exe requires a name
service to be availble. There is none during a kickstart.

I created a service called runonce and chkconfig it on during kickstart. At
the reboot, the runonce script calls three thrings:
1. set the host as an admin host
2. run the install program
3. set site-specifc complex variables.

Each of these use expect. After much trial and error, I got the right combo
where the expect script will
(in the case of 1)
ssh to the master and run a script with an argument of the hostname and make
it an admin host.

(in the case of 2)
run a local expect script that does the installation

(in the case of 3)
ssh to the master and create the complex variables.

The way I make this happen:
I have source files for the kickstart. Anyplace where a hostname should be
though, it says XXX. During the kickstart, I run sed against it and
substitue the hostname for XXX.

Need more info?

I might be able to help.

I cannot help with the master though. I think there are too many little
things to tinker with to automate well.

--tmac