[GE users] Automated installation

V01D phreakuencies at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 05:21:59 BST 2006

your mail got me a little lost since I don't really know how to setup
gridengine by CLI. I'm a little spoiled from the GUI (qmon) and the
installation on another cluster that uses RocksClusters. I'll comment on
each part:

tmac wrote:
> I got this working sort of...
>
> It was a combination of kickstart, %post scripts and expect.
>
> I found through trial and error, that the install of sge_exe requires a
> name
> service to be availble. There is none during a kickstart.

I do have name service (I figure you mean DNS) available while kickstarting.

> I created a service called runonce and chkconfig it on during kickstart. At
> the reboot, the runonce script calls three thrings:
> 1. set the host as an admin host
> 2. run the install program
> 3. set site-specifc complex variables.

What does chkconfig do?

> Each of these use expect. After much trial and error, I got the right combo
> where the expect script will
> (in the case of 1)
> ssh to the master and run a script with an argument of the hostname and
> make
> it an admin host.
>
> (in the case of 2)
> run a local expect script that does the installation
>
> (in the case of 3)
> ssh to the master and create the complex variables.

I figured that this would involve ssh'ing to the master node and make it
  install the exec node, so this sound like I was thinking on doing.

I asked on the first place about this because I wanted to know if SGE
didn't already support this somehow through its inst_sge script. I mean,
is there a way of using this script (running it on the kickstarting
node) so it does this installation on the master host automatically?

> The way I make this happen:
> I have source files for the kickstart. Anyplace where a hostname should be
> though, it says XXX. During the kickstart, I run sed against it and
> substitue the hostname for XXX.
>
> Need more info?
>
> I might be able to help.
>
> I cannot help with the master though. I think there are too many little
> things to tinker with to automate well.

Isn't just a matter of calling the inst_sge script? I'm doing automated
installation and it seems to be working ok. I also make ArchLinux
execute the resulting settings.sh for all users by adding a call to it
in /etc/profile.d/.

So, to sum it up: I should ssh from the node to the master and execute
inst_sge with proper parameters/config file so that it adds the new host
and queue, right?

Thank you,
Matt.