[GE users] Automated installation

V01D phreakuencies at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 21:50:34 BST 2006

V01D wrote:
> Sean Dilda wrote:
>> V01D wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm starting a project called ArchCluster. The idea is to be able to
>>> use the ArchLinux distribution on Cluster environments (like
>>> RocksClusters). I'm trying to create a package for GridEngine.
>>>
>>> My idea is that I should create two packages (one for the nodes and
>>> one for the master host). Therefore, when the package gets installed
>>> on the master node the inst_sge command gets run (with -noremote and
>>> no hosts listed on the .conf file). Then, on the nodes, my idea was
>>> to do something similar.
>>>
>>> I was expecting that I could use inst_sge on a node and put on the
>>> command line or config file the name of the master host so it would
>>> contact it and add it as a new host and queue. I can't find any
>>> parameter/variable to do this.
>>>
>>> How could I install GridEngine on the nodes like this? I can't
>>> install the master host and nodes at the same time because nodes are
>>> not there yet. In other words, master doesn't know about nodes when
>>> it gets installed, and nodes, at most, know the name of the master
>>> when they get kickstarted (ie: automated installation of the Linux
>>> distribution).
>>
>> I ended up making an 'sge' rpm that works for both.  You use
>> 'chkconfig' and 'service' to start the right daemons.   The %build
>> script of my rpm build does the inst_sge stuff (after commenting out
>> some bits. like where it starts up daemons).  Then when the package is
>> installed, I don't need to run anything like that.
>>
>> However, I do have to script my kickstart so that after the package is
>> installed, I rm -rf the common directory and replace it with a symlink
>> into NFS.

> Hi,
> thanks for the information. I was running inst_sge as a package
> postinstall script. Now that you are telling me this I will put it on
> the build stage (I thought that I couldn't do this).
>
> BTW, is 'qconf -ah' (on the frontend) the only thing necessary to add
> the corresponding node? Any other thing like adding it as an execution
> host? Does that create the queue and the host?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt.

BTW, how do you handle your $SGE_ROOT if you run ./inst_sge while
creating your package? Since I'm installing in a directory like
./pkg/opt/gridengine, the ./inst_sge script complains about
/opt/gridengine not existing. If I change SGE_ROOT to
./pkg/opt/gridengine, I think it won't work once it is installed
(because SGE_ROOT will be wrong). Am I right?

Matt.