[GE users] how qconf resolve local hostname ? (./install_execd failed)

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Mon Aug 21 20:16:31 BST 2006

Nano Surbakti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to install an execution host... as explained in another thread.
> No success yet. It failed while trying to connect to qmaster, using
> qconf.
> I tried to do "qconf -sh", and it just can't connect to the qmaster.
> The service is running in the master, on port 536. No problem
> connecting the port actually, as I succeed to connect using telnet.
> "qconf" identify my machine as "unknown" although I've setup a
> hostname in hostname.eri0 file on local computer, and also registered
> in /etc/hosts file both on local and  the master computer. The
> execution computer got IP from DHCP, but don't get a hostname. I
> created a small program that update /etc/hosts file on master computer
> everytime the execution computer got different IP address from DHCP.
>
> I want to ask, how qconf get the local hostname?
> Do you have any suggestion how to solve this problem?

I know in SGE 5.3 sge_execd would look at the hostname that the compute
node thinks it has (what you get if you run 'hostname' on the box).  It
would then send that string to sge_qmaster and used that to match the
box to an exec host entry in SGE.   I'm not sure if it still does that
in SGE 6.0 or not.