[GE users] simple high/low priority configuration?

Sebastian Stark stark at tuebingen.mpg.de
Wed Aug 23 10:18:52 BST 2006

On 23.08.2006, at 07:50, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:

> I'd like to configure a simple pair of high/low priority queues for
> a small
> cluster of four machines:
>
>   qsub job # should go to low.q, never to high.q
>   qsub -q high.q job # only way to submit to high.q
>

> I think/hope I am quite close already: I cloned the default all.q
> as low.q and
> high.q (and removed all.q), and made low.q a subordinate of high.q.
> The problem
> is that "qsub job" submits to both queues, not just low.q as I'd
> like. What is
> the best way to fix this?

You could attach a boolean type complex parameter (probably called
"high") to the high.q queue and add "complex_values high=FALSE" to
the low.q configuration. Then, if a user requests "high" by adding -l
high to the qsub command line, it will always go to high.q. You would
also have to add "-l high=FALSE" to the default request configuration
in ~sge/default/common/sge_request so normal jobs go to low.q.

I use a similar configuration since years and it works fine. I have
three queues that are subordinates, a normal queue, an idle queue and
an express queue. The normal queue is a subordinate of the express
queue and the idle queue is a subordinate of the normal queue and the
express queue.

You might additionally restrict the job duration in the high queue by
adding something like "h_rt 01:00:00" to the high.q configuration.
This way one cannot dominate the cluster with long running high
priority jobs.

> If all CPUs are in use only high.q jobs should get dispatched.

Sorry, can't help you with that one.

Sebastian