[GE users] Specifying max retry on a job?

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 09:30:42 BST 2006

      Short time listener, first time poster :) I'm using SGE 6 to
render frames of animations, it works very well for that. I'm curious,
since I can't find it mentioned in the docs or the Qmon interface, how
do I specify a max limit on the number of times a job is re-run?
      If I get a bad frame for some reason that exits with error code
greater than 0, I exit with 99, which nicely triggers a re-run.
However, in some cases, it will just keep crashing (bug in renderer, or
my shaders or whatever) and I don't want it to keep re-running,
essentially plugging up the queue with failing tasks.
      Also, if there is a better source of docs than the ones shipped
with SGE (they're bare-bones to say the least :) please point me at
them. This list seems to be the definitive source of knowledge but I
don't want to keep posting questions that have answers elsewhere.

Cheers,

Peter B

http://mail.yahoo.com