[GE users] Using gridengine to administer the cluster

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Aug 29 13:43:58 BST 2006

Hi Michael:

  You would need to make sure the user had sudo capability on each node.
 Last I remember, SGE doesn't allow root user to submit jobs.

  You could generate the queue list with a simple qselect

	[landman at minicc ~]$ qselect
	all.q at compute-0-2.local
	all.q at minicc.local
	all.q at compute-0-0.local
	all.q at compute-0-3.local
	all.q at compute-0-1.local

Then very likely, you could do a simple for loop over the hosts using
qsub -q queue

	#!/bin/tcsh
	foreach q (`qselect`)
	 qsub -q $q sudo -u root $@
	end

Now here is why you might not want to do this.

1) if a queue goes down due to a machine crash, or somehow gets flushed
ahead of time, this could leave  machine(s) in an odd state relative to
the rest.

2) You have to set up sudo across your cluster.  This is unfortunately
not easy.

3) you don't have a guaranteed immediate execution of the administrative
commands.

You might want to look at pdsh for your cluster.  It is a good tool
designed specifically to enable administration of large collections of
machines from a command line.  To run /etc/init.d/lmsensors across a
cluster, you would

	pdsh /etc/init.d/lmsensors start

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615