[GE users] Additional questions re qmake.

Joachim Gabler Joachim.Gabler at Sun.COM
Tue Jan 23 09:27:05 GMT 2007

Hi Colin,

why do you use the -inherit option - do you start qmake from within job?
You can also use qmake to submit the make job - or you probably should,
esp. for the -pe make 5, see below.

Colin Thomas wrote:

> Hi,
>

> With the changes to file ownership, qmake is now firing up J
>

> I can get parallel functionality it I run
>

>             qmake  -cwd --shell n --inherit -- --jobs=5 all
>

>             My comprehension is that jobs=5 is being passed as a gmake
> option rather than a qmake one.

That's correct, the --jobs or -j option is a gmake option, but it is
considered by qmake.
When you mix qmake and gmake options, you have to separate them by --, e.g.
qmake -cwd -- -j 5

AFAIK the -shell n is no qmake option.

> I have though noticed the following behaviour
>

>    1. If I try the "-V" option (which is the inherit environment
>       switch for qsub) i.e.
>
> qmake -V -cwd -shell n -inherit -- --jobs=5 all
>

> I am getting
>
> qrsh_starter: executing child process sleep failed: No such file or
> directory

Try separating qmake and gmake options with --
qmake -V -cwd -- -j 5 all

> when it comes to the sleep line in the simple makefile, which looks like:
>

> two:
>
>         @echo "Running TWO"
>
>         @sleep 10
>
>         uname -n > two
>

> My understanding would be the the --V option should pass the
> environment variables to the child process, which should include the
> path variable and where "sleep" is located ?
>

>    2. If I try the --pe make 5" option(in preference to the gmake
>       jobs=5 one)  i.e.
>
> qmake -cwd -shell n -inherit -pe make 5 -- all
>

> I am getting just one make target being run at a time: no
> sequential/parallel jobs are executed
>

> Is this behaviour expected -- 2 seems very odd...

This is coming from the -inherit.

The -pe option can only be used, when qmake does the job submission.
Then it will request 5 slots in the make pe, and can perform up to 5
tasks in parallel as pe tasks.

You wrote, that you want to use qmake for workflows.
If the individual tasks have a noticable runtime (minutes, instead of
seconds as seen with compile jobs), then the "dynamic allocation mode"
might be interesting for you:
There you submit the qmake job without -pe request, but you can limit
parallelization with the -j option.
In dynamic allocation mode, each make task will be scheduled as
individual job.

See also the qmake manpage.

Best regards,

   Joachim