[GE users] Additional questions re qmake.

Joachim Gabler Joachim.Gabler at Sun.COM
Tue Jan 23 10:40:05 GMT 2007

Hi Colin,

Colin Thomas wrote:

> Hello Joachim,
>

> I am running
>

> qmake  -cwd --shell n --inherit -- --jobs=5 all
>

> straight from the command line (no script).
>

> Is this an issue ?

It might pass the Grid Engine options to the GNU make commandline
handling - whatever -cwd does there - and
simply run the make tasks locally (behave like a non grid aware gmake).
You can verify this by having a longer running make target (sleep 60),
and verify with qstat, if a job has been created in the
Grid Engine cluster.

I would suggest to call
qmake -cwd -pe make 5 -- all
if you have short running tasks (in the order of seconds, similar to
compile jobs).
You will then see a qmake job having 5 slots allocated in qstat.

Or run
qmake -cwd -- -j 5 all
for longer running tasks. In qstat, you will see each task being
executed as individual job.

If you want to see details about what is going on (lots of output !),
use the -verbose option.

Best regards,

    Joachim