[GE users] I need help badly.

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Mar 1 23:48:04 GMT 2007

Trey wrote:
> OK  I have lost of my notes from when I was trying it on 5.3 (as I
> switched to 6.0) and cant find the exact command to copy a whole
> directory.  I think it was scp -r /sge/default root at centos2.hyper.com
> /sge.

I recommend

	cd /path/you/want/to/copy
	tar -cf - ./ | (cd /top/level/directory/of/destination && tar -xvf - )

Since we are using a sub shell () we can replace it with an ssh ...

For your example, it would be

	cd /sge
	tar -cf - default | ssh root at centos2.hyper.com "cd /sge ; tar -xvf -"

> But that doesnt seem to work correctly.  I would like to know how
> to set up the NFS on the linux boxes for ease and so that I know how to
> do it (As you probably already know, I am a windows guy trying to learn
> as I go and this is a project that got thrown in my lap).

You could do mounts, or, what I usually suggest is install the master,
make a tarball of it, distribute to slaves, untar, and run install_execd.

For a number of reasons I never have been able to get the "autoinstall"
*feature* to work correctly for execd installs, so I wrote a simple perl
wrapper around the install_execd that does what I want with zero
interaction.  Far more convienent than trying to debug an errant/broken
config file.  Works with clusters of all sizes.  I use it as part of our
finishing scripts for automated SGE configuration.

Joe

> Chris Dagdigian wrote:
>>
>> Most people share $SGE_ROOT via NFS to all the nodes that are part of
>> the Grid Engine cluster.
>>
>> If you don't do this, you'll need to replicate $SGE_ROOT to the other
>> node so that (as you have found) default/common is present.
>>
>> And nope, you don't want to install the qmaster there.
>>
>> -Chris
>>

>> On Mar 1, 2007, at 4:42 PM, Trey wrote:
>>
>>> when you install an execution host on another linux box, do I have
>>> install the qmaster on all of them?  Default/commons is not on any of
>>> them and the ./install_execd requires them.

>> 2/28/2007 4:09 PM

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics LLC,