[GE users] Arco tool results differ from qacct

Jana Olivova Jana.Olivova at Sun.COM
Fri May 18 18:34:08 BST 2007

Hi John,

I could check on the Arco side. I have checked my data and they are both
the same, except the rounding that appears in qacct. I do have, however,
very small sample of data. Frankly, I am not sure what would cause this.
Arco only inserts the data that is given to it by the qmaster, in the
reporting file.

Can you tell me what sql query did you use to obtain the data in ARCo
and what database are you using?

Jana Olivova

John Mc-Nicholas XJ (GU/ETL) wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am basically having the same problem that Todd Heywood had earlier
> in the year.
> He gave up on Arco tool in the end , I hope I haven't got to do the same.
>
> >/ Heywood, Todd wrote:/ >/> How does ACRo report time and memory? I
> assumed it would be the same as/ >/> for qacct, for which it is
> seconds and Gbytes (according to "man/ >/> accounting"). But qacct and
> ACRo are reporting different numbers. Unit/ >/> conversions don't
> account for the diffs/
>
> The Arco Tool produces nice graphs and the SQL works fine but when I
> compare to the output of QACCT , it is a completely different set of
> results.
>
> There is some correlation between the data. For example, Aprils usage
> is the highest in both sets of results &
> The users with the most usage also correspond in both sets of data.
> But the actual data seems to be randomly out by an order of 20-30%.
>
> I'm specifically trying to extract grid jobs memory (Gigabyte seconds)
> per month
> For example the data for April
> qacct -b 200704010000 -e 200704312359
> MEMORY 5743492.079
>
> But the output in arco gives???
> 6324866.240448
>
> Is this a bug in ARCO/GRID ?
> What would cause this behaviour?
>
> The only strange thing I've noticed is that I have 2 dbwriter process
> instead of 1 & 5 postmaster instead of 3.
>

> sgeadm 1430 1422 0 May 10 ? 0:00 /bin/sh /grid/dbwriter/util/dbwriter.sh
> sgeadm 1422 1 0 May 10 ? 0:00 /bin/sh /grid/dbwriter/util/dbwriter.sh
> postgres 1402 1401 0 May 10 ? 0:00 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/database -S
> postgres 1403 1402 0 May 10 ? 0:01 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/database -S
> postgres 1401 1 0 May 10 ? 0:04 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/database -S
> postgres 13303 1401 0 16:29:34 ? 0:00 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
> -D /usr/local/pgsql/database -S
> postgres 9719 1401 0 14:31:33 ? 0:20 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
> -D /usr/local/pgsql/database -S
>
> If you've any ideas please get back to me & I'll give you more
> detailed info.
>
> Best Regards
>
> John
> */ John Mc Nicholas /*
>
> * STE/SEA Support Engineer *
> * BETE Test Plants UK *
>
> Phone: +44 (0) 1483 305458
> Email: john.xj.mc-nicholas at ericsson.com
> Address: Ericsson, Midleton Gate, Guildford Business Park, Guildford,
> Surrey, GU2 8SG , UK
>
> / Ericsson Limited /
> / Registered Office: Unit 4, Midleton Gate, Guildford Business Park,
> Guildford, Surrey, GU2 8SG /
> / Registered Number in England and Wales: 942215 /
> / This communication is confidential and intended solely for the
> addressee(s). Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution
> [...]

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]