[GE users] Whither libdb 4.4?

Fri May 25 18:26:43 BST 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Ron Chen wrote:

> With SGE 6.1, you wouldn't need to have LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/news/SGE61-announce.html
>
> " - the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is no longer set
> for Solaris and Linux by the Grid Engine settings.[c]sh file.
> Instead the dynamic library path is determined at runtime."

Well, Ron, "determined at runtime" actually is just part of the truth or
at least too unspecific. For Solaris/Linux LD_LIBRARY_PATH is no longer
needed due to use of relative RPATH/RUNPATH as I explained in

    http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=dev&msgNo=2788

due to RPATH/RUNPATH the location of all shared libraries can in
fact be determined before(!) runtime by the dynamic link loader.

To accomplish this all Grid Engine binaries (including BDB and
OpenSSL utilities) get a relative path burned in at linking stage
with these options I mentioned at dev@ mailing list.

The positive side of this is that use of Grid Engine 6.1 no longer
causes LD_LIBRARY_PATH "pollution" which generally helps to resolve
shared libraray path conflicts in a clean fashion. Negative side
effect is that this relative path relation must be regarded when
binaries and shared libraries are copied e.g. to some local volume.

As for compiling this BDB and OpenSSL stuff in a way that it matches
into that schema it is necessary to do fairly nasty manipulations
in the build procedures of both packages.

Regards,
Andreas