[GE users] SGE-6.1: User notification - what exactly is "Max vmem"?

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Thu Apr 10 14:36:00 BST 2008

Hi Erik,

it's an absolute value of virtual memory a job needed. It's vir. memory of
the sum of all processes belonging to a job.

It's retrieved by the execd when it scans in  regular intervals (every few
seconds) over the process table.

This data might be somewhat misleading if a process had just forked and
before it exec()'s. Also shared memory segments are counted multiple times
(the latter would be perhaps solvable in theory, for ther first problem I
have not a good idea how it could be addressed).

There are various RFE's requesting that SGE reports RSS as well.

Regards,
Andy