[GE users] What does the definition of slots for a cluster queue mean?

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 16 20:12:57 GMT 2008

Reuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 16.01.2008 um 20:00 schrieb Chris Dagdigian:
>

>> Hi Craig,
>>
>> In SGE 6 and later we now have to distinguish between "cluster queue"
>> and "queue instance".
>>
>> The "cluster queue" is used to refer to the queues that span many
>> machines (all.q for instance)
>> The "queue instance" refers to the specific instance on a certain
>> machine (all.q at node001 for instance)
>>
>> So to answer your question:
>>
>>  - You will have 32 slots in your cluster or "cluster queue"
>>  - You'll have 2 slots by default in each of your queue instances
>>
>> Slots can be defined at the cluster queue level and also at the
>> machine level. At the cluster queue level the slot count refers to the
>> total number of job slots available. At the queue instance level it
>> refers to the slots that are available just at the local machine.
>
> to answer the other question: put a 2 in the queue definition for the
> slot count. It will be per queue instance.

Did Chris and Reuti just contradict each other?  Reuti's answer says
to put a 2 in the cluster queue (conf -mq) definition, implying that this
is the number of slots per queue instance.  However, Chris said that at the
cluster queue level there are 32 slots (but didn't say necessarily to list
this value in the queue configuration).

I also know that in the cluster queue definition (conf -mq) that if I
have heterogeneous nodes (in processor count) I can set it there
(eg->   slots:   4,[node1=2]).

My system has the slots per host set on each host, and I have the total
slots in the parallel environment (although it isn't really necessary
because the system is set not to over-schedule nodes).

Should the definition in the man page state:

   slots
        The maximum number of concurrently executing proccesses allowed in each queue instance.  Type is number.

vs.

   slots
        The maximum number of concurrently executing jobs allowed in the queue.  Type is number.

Craig