[GE users] Help: Remote Operate

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jan 23 12:38:58 GMT 2008

Hi,

Am 23.01.2008 um 12:30 schrieb Lee Amy:

> 2008/1/23, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>:
> Hi,
>
> Am 23.01.2008 um 09:27 schrieb Lee Amy:
>
> > Our cluster uses SGE as resources schedule software. And my teacher
> > need SSH to login this cluster. So I have some following questions
> > before I'm going to set up.
> >
> > 1.I have enabled Tickets Strategy to handle priorities of job. So I
> > wanna know whether I can still use Tickets to do dynamic
> > reprioritization.
> >
> > 2.In my cluster, MPI uses RSH as nodes communications software. If
> > my teacher logins the cluster and uses SGE to submit parallel jobs
> > with PE by SSH, is there any limitation when he control his jobs?
>
> what will he do with his login? I mean, an option would be to use an
> interactive queue instead (with qlogin or qrsh). So SGE would know
> that there is something running on this node in addition and spool
> less jobs to it.
>
> If you need SSH, you could also implement: http://
> gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/qrsh_qlogin_ssh.html
>
> -- Reuti

> Thank you for your reply. He logins by ssh and uses qsub command to
> submit jobs. And some jobs are parallel jobs with PE. In SGE the
> qlogin and qrsh use rsh and its daemon. So I don't know whether
> it's okay if he submits and runs parallel jobs with PE.

you mean: his parallel jobs use SSH? It should work independend of
the node from which he submits.

It wiln work, but you will have neither accounting nor complete job
control, as SGE isn't aware that something was started on a node. You
can:

a) recompile SGE with the flag -tight-ssh to get also a Tight SSH
integration.

b) Can he adjust his calls to use rsh instead? Often this can be done
by setting an environment variable, and override the compiled-in
communication method.