[GE users] Make jobs wait for available FLEXlm license

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Mon Jun 2 09:27:00 BST 2008

> handle the job correctly.  I want the job to wait, until the 20
> licenses
> become available.  I do this with:
>
> qsub -hard -l genesis=20 -now no vrand.sub
>
> Note that the -now flag is set no - this was just an attempt to make
> sure that the job is not schedule to run now.  I get the same results
> with -now set to yes or if I do not specify now at all.
>
> The interesting thing (for me) is that in the above example, if I used
>
> qsub -hard -l genesis=18 -now no vrand.sub
>
> multiple times, everything works correctly.  The fist job starts, the
> other jobs wait until the licenses become available.
>
> I am afraid that I am missing something trivial, and if that is the
> case, I want to apologise up front.  However, it seems to me that
> everything works fine if I subtract the externally used licenses from
> the total number of available licenses.

I really don't understand what is going wrong. It should work (ie, wait)
anytime you specify resources that can't yet be satisfied. There must be
something else wrong. Perhaps there is something weird in the job script
itself or in the global or user sge_request that is messing things up.

If I submit a simple dummy job, without a script:

$ qsub -l starcd=1000
echo okay
Ctrl-D

The job simply waits, since I don't have that many licenses.
Try the same in the hope that you have some "#$ xxx" requirements buried
in your script that you've overseen.

/mark