[GE users] Home and Shell of the sgeadmin user

Filipe Brandenburger filipe.brandenburger at idilia.com
Fri Jun 6 02:37:10 BST 2008

Thanks for your reply.

Rayson Ho <rayrayson at gmail.com> wrote:
> SGE is usually started as root, and switches the uid between root and
> sgeadmin -- when SGE writes (or reads) to the filesystem, it performs
> the operation as sgeadmin. Note that this is mainly to get around the
> NFS root squash issue.

So does that mean that I can safely change the shell to /bin/date or /sbin/nologin?

For instance, both Postfix and Apache start as root and change users to postfix and www respectively, and both these users have /sbin/nologin as a shell. But SGE is different in that it interacts with shell scripts, so I'm not sure I can safely change this one.

Thanks!
Filipe