[GE users] Loose and Tight Integration Execution Times

Reuti reuti at Staff.Uni-Marburg.DE
Wed Jun 18 12:42:21 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 18.06.2008 um 12:49 schrieb Azhar Ali Shah:

> I have Integrated MPICH2-1.0.7rc2 with SGE on a 6 node linux
> (centos) cluster with 9 processors (slots) all having different
> speeds.
>
> For comparison purpose I have used both Loose and Tight Integration
> with SMPD daeon-bassed and SMPD daemon-less methods following
> instructions from (http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/mpich2-
> integration/mpich2-integration.html).
>
> When the same application is run with loose and tight integration,
> there is big difference in execution time (in terms of Wall Clock) as:
>
> Loose integration (SMPD daemon-based): 02:22:25   (hh:mm:ss)
> Tight Integration (SMPD daemon-based):  05:39:36

what do you mean in detail? When you look at your wrist watch or the
times from a qacct command? Only a Tight Integration will honor all
spread processes to slave nodes, while a Loose Integration will only
catch the times of the master process.

-- Reuti