[GE users] SGE 6.1 (6.1u3) sends double email notifications

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Dec 1 16:24:22 GMT 2010

Am 01.12.2010 um 16:21 schrieb adary:

> To clarify this,
>
> Job is sent with ?m a and ?M user at email parameters
>
> When a job is killed with qdel, two emails are sent to the user instead of one.

yes, AFAIK this is the default behavior.

>  First email is the regular emai:
>

> Job 1016932 (vim) Aborted
>  Exit Status      = 137
>  Signal           = KILL
>  User             = adary
>  Queue            = heavy at lnx4073.il.marvell.com
>  Host             = lnx4073.il.marvell.com
>  Start Time       = 12/01/2010 16:04:53
>  End Time         = 12/01/2010 16:05:20
>  CPU              = 00:00:00
>  Max vmem         = 408.438M
> failed assumedly after job because:
> job 1016932.1 died through signal KILL (9)
>
> Second mail looks like this:
>
> Job 1079336 (sleep)  was killed by adary at adary-lnx.il.marvell.com
>
> I cant find a reason for this behavior, and users clain that they started getting the second mail only in the last few weeks (this grid is in production for the last three years)
>

> Anyone got an idea how can something like this happen and how to suppress the extra second mail?
>

> Another related question: Is there a way to get only one email when a job array is killed? Right now in ideal situation I would get a mail for every running task in the job array (and we have arrays of 500+ running tasks)

This is a long standing demand but nothing is implemented to cover this right now.

You can use a mail wrapper and supress mails which are filtering the mails:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=254376

This will check only if the index of the array is "1" and send emails for only this one (originally it was designed to send "Set job to Error" only for task 1 of each array job). Maybe the script can be adjusted for your needs: in your case you don't have to look for "Set" but "Failed" and/or "Aborted" in the subject line and simply ignore it.

-- Reuti