[GE users] [GE announce] Product Forum & Incubator Project

templedf daniel.templeton at oracle.com
Fri Dec 3 00:15:55 GMT 2010

As we're settling down into our new home at Oracle, we're slowly
figuring out how to take advantage of all the facilities that are now
available to us.  Today I'd like to introduce you to two of them:

Oracle Grid Engine product forum
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=859

The Oracle Forum is a site for users to post product questions to be
answered by Oracle and other members of the community.  A while back I
had a forum created for Grid Engine, and now we're finally announcing it.

You can use the Grid Engine forum to ask questions, report problems, or
otherwise seek grid-enabled enlightenment.  Sound like the same idea as
open source users list?  It largely is, with two main differences.
First the forum, being a web site, as opposed to a mailing list, has
more bells and whistles to sort through the chaos and help keep track of
the questions and answers that have already been posted.  Second,
because it's the product forum, it's a great place to pose questions
about the product, such as about 6.2u6 (which isn't currently available
in the open source).

Oracle Grid Engine Incubator Project
https://oge.samplecode.oracle.com/

The Oracle Sample Code site is a place for community members to share
and collaboratively develop things like sample applications, product
integrations, and common utilities.  I've created an incubator project
there for the Grid Engine community to act as a catch-all for useful
code related to Grid Engine.  Over the holidays I will probably work on
coalescing some of my other projects (Passau, Ybbs, etc) onto the site.

My plan for the site is to make it the home for all those scripts that
people develop in their day-to-day Grid Engine administration and are
willing to share.  Obvious candidates are MPI integrations, file staging
prolog/epilog scripts, transfer queue implementations, and other clever
uses of prologs, epilogs, starter methods, JSVs, load sensors, shepherd
wrappers, and whatever other code the rest of the community might find
useful.

Why do we need yet another source code repository?  Well, the open
source site is not really structured to facilitate wide open
contribution and collaboration.  There's no way to restrict committer
access for the main source code but leave a contributor section wide
open.  With this new site, restrictions will be minimal, because it's
intended to be by the community for the community.  Think of it as the
source code corollary to Dag's gridengine.info site.

I'm pretty excited about these two new resources for our community, and
I hope you are as well.  I'm really looking forward to seeing them put
to good use.

Daniel