[GE users] Possible to remove/control e-mail domain for cluster notifications?

reidac andrew.reid at nist.gov
Fri Dec 3 18:56:32 GMT 2010

Hi all --

  I'm running the Debian-packaged GridEngine 6.2u4 on a small
cluster here, and I've recently discovered a problem with e-mail
notifications -- the system is defaulting to sending these to
"<user>@<submit-host>", but these mails are getting stuck.

  There actually is a mail relay on the cluster subnet, but it
only accepts mail for local delivery.  The actual nodes run
"nullmailer", and are set up to default to a domain
which the mail relay recognizes as "local".

  The problem is that this default local domain does not
correspond to the names of the submit hosts -- consequently
the mail relay is blocking these messages.

  A work-around is for users to put "#$ -M <username>"
(or "#$ -M <username>@<local-domain>") in their scripts.
A more automatic set-up could be achieved if I set up an
an interior DNS server for my cluster subnet with MX
records for the submit hosts that would translate them to
the mail relay's local domain.

  But what I really want is for SGE to get it right in
the first place -- I'd like the default e-mails to be
addressed to either just <username>, or
<username>@<prescribed-domain-independent-of-submit-host>.

  Is this possible?

  Thanks.

				-- A.
--
Dr. Andrew C. E. Reid
Physical Scientist, Computer Operations Administrator
andrew.reid at nist.gov