[GE users] Dealing with Berkeley DB

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Dec 7 10:53:16 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 07.12.2010 um 11:36 schrieb chambon:

> I try to survive with Berkeley DB...
>
> Question 1 :
>
> How to restore a configuration (sge file) ?
> I have used the save|load_sge_config.sh, but those scripts need a running qmaster
> but what can I do if I can't start qmaster because of failure on sge file  ... ? (It not my case for the moment)

the best approach is to remove the old configuration completely (i.e. reinstall the qmaster with an empty configuration) and then load the saved one. This is also advisable, as the load script isn't so sophisticated to remove an old installation in the correct way all the time. I mean e.g.: first you have to remove some entries from queues and exechosts, before you can remove them from the complex definition. And also queus must be removed in a certain order, in case there are entries in subordinate_list (like when they are in their subordinate_list one another, first you have to remove one subordinate_entry, before you can remove the other queue, and then the initial queue).

When a queue is left behind by the script, also attached PEs and CKPTs may not be removed.

> Question 2 :
> For the moment I have a running GE master. I can read and modify the configuration, submit and run job
> nevertheless db_verify show errors on sge file
>
>> db_verify -h /nbs/ge6.2u5/default/spool/spooldb sge
> db_verify: Page 15: page 17 encountered a second time on free list
> db_verify: sge: DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification failed
>
> May I trust db_verify ?
> if necessary (?),  how to repair with db_* tools ?
>
> (The only solution I saw (and successfully test) is db_dump + rm sge + db_load)

Yes, it should: http://gridengine.info/2008/11/11/fixing-a-berkeley-db-spool-database

-- Reuti