[GE users] Dealing with Berkeley DB

chambon chambon at cc.in2p3.fr
Wed Dec 8 09:04:55 GMT 2010

Hello,

> the best approach is to remove the old configuration completely (i.e. reinstall the qmaster with an empty configuration) and then load the saved one. This is also advisable, as the load script isn't so sophisticated to remove an old installation in the correct way all the time. I mean e.g.: first you have to remove some entries from queues and exechosts, before you can remove them from the complex definition. And also queus must be removed in a certain order, in case there are entries in subordinate_list (like when they are in their subordinate_list one another, first you have to remove one subordinate_entry, before you can remove the other queue, and then the initial queue).
>
> When a queue is left behind by the script, also attached PEs and CKPTs may not be removed.

Ok
Thank you for the suggestions.

I have also setup a periodical db_dump for config (sge) et job (sge_job)
db_dump + db_load do not need qmaster.

I have another question about BDB log files removal :
Are the log files, not involved  in transactions, automatically removed ?

It seems to me that yes ?
If that's true, what is the purpose of the script : util/bdb_checkpoint.sh ?
and more tedious (boring), can I perform catastrophic recovery if such log files are removed ?

At last , how to disable "auto remove" of log files ? I have tried to setup a DB_CONFIG file but the only flag I  know is
DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE,  What is the syntax | flag to disable ?

Best regards
Bernard CHAMBON