[GE users] Resource availabilty difference reported by qstat/qconf

paulu pcu-m at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 8 23:16:30 GMT 2010

I see a difference in the reported availability of a global
consumables, depending on the method to show it. In this particular
case it is about a requestable global consumable named mti_sim_total.

With:
  qstat -F | grep gc:mti_sim_total | sort -u

I get:
  gc:mti_sim_total=0

With:
  SGE_SINGLE_LINE= qconf -se global | grep ^load_values

I see:
  mti_sim_total=1

So a difference of 1.

There is also a load sensor involved for this consumable. I know by a
log file it produces that the value reported by the load sensor is 1.

The thing that I want to know is what exactly is reported by qstat -F
and qconf -se.

I always assumed that these were the same, as far as the consumables
go. Now however I am inclined to believe that the load_values reported
by qconf -se truly are the values reported by the load sensor, and
that the gc: values reported by qstat -F are the values of the
internal book keeping of SGE. The latter is the lowest of the values
of the load sensor and the remaining number deduced from the resource
requests (-l options).

Can anyone provide some certainty? Thanks!

--
Paul.