[GE users] can't get password entry for user "www"

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Dec 14 13:44:39 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 14.12.2010 um 06:07 schrieb llikethat:

> I'm using SGE 6.2u5 on linux CentOS. The authentication is done using ADS. There are totally 70nodes running with proper configuration. The configuration for the nodes are defined locally. The spool directory is also local.

the node are also Linux - or Windows?

> But some of the nodes give the following error
>
> can't get password entry for user "www"  and the nodes are marked in Error state. When I check the nodes manually if they are able to get the list of users from the ADS, they seem to be fine. (i get all the users including www from the Domain)

Is it only this user? At least in NIS it can be set up, from which UID the NIS should deliver the users at all to the clients. For the lower ones the local users will be taken. Maybe it's similar in ADS.

> It is not only this but the local configuration also gets lost, if i do a qconf -sconf <hostname> it says the configuration is not defined.
>
> Any suggestions will be very helpful.

I think it's not bound to some particular nodes, but depends on the load of the ADS server, or what they deliver. I saw this only once, when the NIS server in our case couldn't be contacted.