[GE users] Problems with PEs and resource quotas

mdsteeves mdsteeves at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 20:02:30 GMT 2010

On 12/14/10 5:18 AM, reuti wrote:

[SNIP]

> I don't see any resource reservation in the above lines: #$ -R
>
> And to have an effect it's necessary to set "max_reservation 20" or an appropriate value in the scheduler configuration. Then slots should be reserved for this job, so that he won't die of starvation.
>
> Is this fixing the issue?

Resource reservation for the resource quota piece? We don't use that at
the moment -- the moe_limit that's currently in place limits each user
to only be able to have 20 jobs running, which is the behavior that we
want. The problem we're having is that other jobs, that don't need or
use these licenses, get stuck in a "qw" state, and reference the
moe_limit resource quota. If we go in and disable the resource quota,
then the job gets dispatched to a node and runs without problem.

If we don't use either "-l qname=...." or "-l hostname=...." when we
submit the job, then it launches without problem.

If we don't specify a parallel environment, but leave the -l requests in
the job submission, then it launches without a problem.

While I haven't tested each and every resource that could be requested
when a job is submitted, the jobs only seem to stick in a qw state if we
try to request either a queue or a host.

-Mike
--
Michael Steeves (mdsteeves at gmail.com)