[GE users] Problems with PEs and resource quotas

weiser m.weiser at science-computing.de
Wed Dec 15 08:25:42 GMT 2010

Hi Mike,

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 03:27:05PM -0500, mdsteeves wrote:

> We're running SGE 6.2u4 on RHEL5.4.

> {
>     name         moe_limit
>     description  limit everyone to no more than 20 moe license
>     enabled      TRUE
>     limit        users {*} to moe=20
> }

> For some reason, though, we're running into problems with some users
> that submit jobs that use PEs, and also request certain resources with

I have just seen this behaviour with 6.2u2_1 when requesting a $fill_up
PE and having a -masterq specification. Disabling the resource limit
caused the job to be scheduled on the next scheduler run.

It did not happen in tests with 6.2u5 and u6. So it seems, it is a bug
fixed somewhere inbetween. I do not have 6.2u4 to compare.

My qstat output was different though. With -pe orte 8 it would say:

>                              cannot run because it exceeds limit
> "steevmi1/////" in rule "moe_limit/1"
>                              cannot run in PE "orte" because it only
> offers 0 slots

cannot run in PE "orte" because it only offers 7 slots

so always exactly one less than requested.

Bye,
--
Michael Weiser                science + computing ag
Senior Systems Engineer       Geschaeftsstelle Duesseldorf